Group volunteering in Cape Town
In Cape Town we offer unique group and school class activities with focus on township and educare volunteering programs. Groups can be split between up to 3 different projects while in Cape Town.
The students/volunteers will work in a local township/settlement. Groups generally focus on a building and renovation elements while they are on project. This way they can see a visual impact that they have made in the community. However, it is also possible to assist on the programs listed below.
The type of work varies on the group's skill set and the donation budget. Projects could include planting a vegetable garden, renovation a building, painting a school or fixing a sports field.
Group volunteering for the following programs are based on assistance to the program leaders and long-term volunteers.
Volunteer programs for groups
- Sports Development Project: The goal is to promote physical activity as a positive outlet for the children’s energy, as well as build self confidence in conquering a new skill. We believe that this will help to steer these youth away from negative influences within their communities.
- Adventure Surf Club Project: This project has taught over 300 children how to swim and over 80 how to surf. We have also had 8 children obtain top 3 positions in local and provincial trials and an award-winning documentary filmed about one of our surf kids.
- Mentally and Physically Challenged School Assistance Project: This centre provides all-day care for children with special needs & is the only one of its kind in the surrounding area. SAVE has begun construction on a new school, specially designed to contribute to healthy childhood development and learning.
- Skills Development Project: This project promotes self-sufficiency and entrepreneurial skills among the adults in impoverished areas. Groups work in an apprenticeship forum to learn various building techniques with “upcycled” materials.
- Skate Club Project: Under the umbrella of Sports Development, this project is used as an incentive and confidence-building program for children in local townships. Opportunities are also available for apprenticeships and further involvement in the sport industry.
- Kitesurfing Outreach Project: This is an incentive program for children to do well at school and home. The youth are first taught to swim by the volunteers, and later receive kitesurfing lessons from the volunteer and a professional kitesurfing instructor.
- Settlement Project: The main objective of this initiative is the facilitation of poverty prevention programs in the settlements; we aim to help create self-sufficient communities. We do this through education, skills development, and subsistence farming programs.
- School & Educare Project: 10 Schools and 1562 children across Africa are positively impacted by this project, 781 of which are fed nutritious meals at school. We partner with locally-run schools in disadvantaged communities to help identify their needs and achieve their goals.
- Medical Placement: SAVE operates placements in Hospitals to help ensure that the surrounding community is able to achieve the most important requisite for a happy life; good health.
Working hours are 09:00 - 14:30. Groups can be split between up to 3 different projects.
KILROY has a wide range of options for volunteering, study visits and activities. We put together tailored programs based on your wishes and needs. Contact us to learn about the study visits we can arrange for you in Cape Town.